Improving and refining one’s teaching skills is a rewarding task. In this way, he/she can keep their students receptive, engaged, and interactive. A teacher can easily transform a very boring topic into an exciting and lively session. When a certified teacher possesses the required teaching skills, class students will always be interested in the lessons. They will be highly interested in giving exams due to their clear basics.
Ways in Which a Teacher Can Enhance His/Her Teaching Skills:
● Using Portfolios- Using portfolios can give a meaningful method to evaluate the learning outcomes. It includes using opinion polls, concept maps, questions, knowledge checklists, and minute papers to assess students’ progress. These days many professionals are trained to mold future generations in a positive way. Teachers not only can teach a set of students but can motivate them to achieve greatness in their life.
● Handling unruly behaviors- It is imperative to connect with students. This is easily possible with small talk. A teacher must be beware of a student who has a habit of showing unruly behavior. This kind of student always loves to create unwanted disruptions. A teacher must employ proven methodologies or techniques to handle such kind of behavior.
● Method of co-operative learning- A teacher needs to divide his/her students into equal teams. Each member of a particular team must have face-to-face interaction, individual accountability, and positive interdependence. On the basis of research, it is seen that students who are taught using cooperative learning are more analytical, creative, innovative, and critical. They also have a much better understanding of the lessons learned than traditionally taught students.
● Using technology- After covid, there is even more use of technology in this era, and teachers need to adapt to it. Several schools are operating online, due to which teachers are conducting online classes. Technology has a vital role to play in every field these days. The overall productivity of students has increased with the help of technology. Digital learning tools like educational apps, software programs, and handheld devices are helping to enhance students’ engagement and motivation.
● Knowing about students’ capabilities- In a class, there are students who face some challenges in different areas of learning. A teacher must know which students are less prepared and which are advanced. He/she must interact with all of them to know about the learning disability so that the teacher can employ a particular teaching method to solve it. Each student has strengths and weaknesses but how these weaknesses can be reduced is the task of the teacher. The teacher can give students supplementary learning materials for better understanding.
● Classifying instructional objectives- A teacher must write down any observational actions that his/her students must be able to accomplish at the very end of each lesson/content. He/she needs instructional objectives for facilitating the creation of in and out-of-class tests and activities. If a student knows what is expected of him, he will try to perform in a better way.
● Teacher to teacher interaction-You need to interact with other teachers also, whether they are of your school or not. Teachers with more teaching experience can provide invaluable tips that you can grab while teaching your students. Teachers’ seminars are a must thing to attend.
● Joining Courses- If you want to improve your teaching skills in an effective way, you should join courses specially designed for teachers. Courses such as Assessment and Evaluation Techniques, Boosting Employability, Assessment Writing, Child Protection, and Safeguarding, etc., help in enhancing teachers’ skills. All of these courses are provided by Suraasa, and it also offers certificates for teachers to boost their skills.
● Evaluating your own performance- After an academic year ends, have a pause and think about anything that has transpired. Is there any improvement required on your part? Did you achieve the goals which you have set for yourself? What didn’t work in the end? Asking these types of questions will help you brainstorm certain techniques which you can employ for the next year to come. This will help you to improve your teaching style and get to your goals.
● Making your own assessment methods- If you have a new curriculum the following year, you will have an opportunity to build your own assessment methods. First, make it in a general way, and then you can do an in-depth analysis. In this way, you can understand the new curriculum and perform in a better way.
● Studying school’s evaluation methods- If your school is forming an evaluation method to evaluate teachers’ performance, then this is the best way to understand where you are. A school may give a ranking to teachers, and you can analyze what the first rank teacher has and what you don’t.
● Having a curiosity about new findings- In your free time, you may be reading magazines or an article in a newspaper. You may come across any interesting findings, and you want to share them with students. In this way, you can explore various classroom activities that can be employed with students.
● Avoiding stress- Worried about the new curriculum for next year? Stop worrying and take a week off to plan lessons and activities. Do something interesting that week so you can recharge your battery and come in with a fresh mind for the next academic year. Every person needs time to decompress so that he/she can tackle work with full energy.
Training can enhance teachers’ capabilities to easily manage students. After parents, teachers are students’ major sources of knowledge and skills. Trained teachers can shape a perfect future for any student. So, follow the ways mentioned above to boost your teaching skills so that you can confidently enter the classroom next time!